You will need:
A batch of shortcrust pastry (one batch makes about 12 mince pies)
A small amount of milk and icing sugar if you wish to glaze or decorate.
1) Make your shortcrust pastry (here's the recipe), and leave to rest in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
2) Roll out your pastry on a floured surface, I rolled mine just under .5cm thick, but that's my preference- just make sure it's all rolled out evenly.
3) Cut out your bottoms and tops. You need a circular bottom layer- so it will fit into the tin properly. Gently press the bottoms into the tin.
4) Fill the pies with a (generous) spoon of mincemeat.
5) Cut out your tops: you can use any shape really- I like stars and holly leaves- or you can do full tops. (If there you do a full top and there's no gap between the bottom and top of your pie, make sure you put a hole in the top to prevent mince pie explosions.) And place them on the tops of your pies.
6) If you wish, you can glaze them with milk or a beaten egg- this gives them a bit of a shiny finish once baked.