Sunday 7 October 2012

Challenge Week 51: Inspired by SciFi or Supernatural :)

It took me quite a while to think of an idea for this challenge theme, I would have done Doctor Who nails, but I've already done them! And a lot of the other ideas (like LOTR and Star Trek) I couldn't actually think of a way to create a manicure with them... So I flicked through my DVD collection and came upon the perfect show- Firefly! :)




For those who don't know (because I can't imagine the nail art and the scifi fans cross over too much) Firefly is essentially a 'space western'- so lots of neutral colours- and it's set in a future where the US and China are the superpowers of the world- so people speak a funny mixture of English and Chinese.

I chose (as I often do when I have too many ideas) to do each nail slightly differently. I started with a base of e.l.f. Smokey Brown, except the ring finger which is Barry M Peach Melba- then added a different design on each nail.








The little finger is stamped with the small Chinese symbols on Bundlemonster plate 203, with Beauty UK Olympic Bronze. Unfortunately the stamp didn't come out well, but it still looks pretty cool :)  My middle finger is a simple F- supposedly just like the f of Firefly in the logo. I used e.l.f. Blush and a nail art brush.

My index finger is a leaf pattern (If you know the show, you will understand why...) which looks nicer in real life than it comes out in pictures- the shimmery polish (Beauty UK again) wont let the whole design show up in one picture! And my thumb nail is a neutral, shimmery galaxy nail- sponged and dotted with e.l.f. Bronze, Beauty UK Olympic Bronze and Barry M Gold Foil.

Last but not least (as it's my favourite nail) is my ring finger, devoted to Kaylee- the sweetest character ever. She wore a crazy frilly peach dress- which is why I chose Peach Melba as a base colour, and got incredibly excited by the prospect of fresh strawberries :) I used e.l.f. Light Red to create the strawberry shapes (with a medium dotting tool) then added green tops (Barry M Spring Green) and yellow (Barry M Pale Yellow) seeds with small dotting tools. They're so cute- and I'm annoyed that I've not attempted strawberries sooner!


Left, top to bottom: Barry M Gold Foil, Beauty UK Olympic Bronze, e.l.f. Blush and e.l.f. Smokey Brown
Right, top to bottom: Barry M Pale Yellow, e.l.f. Light Red, Barry M Spring Green, Barry M Peach Melba


What's your favourite scifi show?



                                                                                                               xGretalRabbitx


p.s. I've just repainted my nails with Grey for week 52- I'm nearly caught up!)


4 comments:

  1. I *love* Firefly! Kaylee is the cutest character ever =3 loving the nail art, did you choose the brown because of the Brown Coats? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't she just! :) Yes partly that, and partly because brown is such a common colour in the show!
      xGretalRabbitx

      Delete
  2. I really like Firefly as well, and was just re-watching it on Netflix the other day! I love Kaylee and Inara, and their friendship

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to have to rewatch again soon- posting the theme music made me miss it!
      xGretalRabbitx

      Delete

Leave me a comment- it really does make my day! :)