Thursday 22 September 2011

Review: Neutrogena Visibly Clear Blackhead Eliminating Daily Scrub.

I have mentioned this product (quite a while ago) in a Skincare Favourites post, but I really think it deserves it's own post- I've been using it on and off for around 2-3 years now, and I just love it; my finicky skin seems to love and it's reasonably priced too- it ticks all the boxes :)

About 4 weeks ago I started to use a new cleanser (which happened to be Asda Skin System Vitamin E face wash, which I thought I'd like because I really like the moisturiser from that range) and my skin did not like it at all. At first I thought it was just because my skin doesn't appreciate change, but last week I got a full-on break out of spots on my chin (which isn't too unusual, as I often get hormonal spots on my chin) and my forehead- where I never usually get spots or even blackheads- plus severely dry eyelids, and I decided enough was enough. I gave up on that face wash (and donated it to my sister, who has much less sensitive skin than I do) and purchased 2 Neutrogena daily scrubs (it costs £3.89, but they are buy one, get one 1/2 price at Boots) instead.




The daily scrub has a cream formulation, and is free from sodium laureth sulphate (the ingredient which cases foaming) which I think is what irritates my skin with other facial cleansers- after doing some further research it appears that SLES can be an irritant to sensitive skin, and I shall now be avoiding it like the plague!

I quite like the smell of this product, it's smells slightly medicated- which I like- but if you don't like it I don't think it would be a problem as it's not a strong smell at all. The packaging is (as I've mentioned before) not something that really bothers me, but I like that it comes in a squeezey tube with flip-top cap; much more practical than screw tops, and the small hole means you can easily control how much product to use. Because the scrub is so thick quite a lot can get stuck in the tube, so I recommend snipping off the top like this once you get to the end of a tube (you can often get lots more product out.)


I use it morning and night- taking a small blob and massaging onto wet skin. There are no foaming ingredients so the scrub doesn't foam up at all when I use it- that took a little while to get used to as I've spent most of my life believing that bubbles = clean. It feels lovely on my skin; it has the texture of a very thick moisturiser and it's filled with little exfoliating beads. The spherical orange micro-beads come in various sizes, and although they definitely do their job of cleansing deep into my pores and providing gentle exfoliation, they are definitely not too harsh on my skin.




After just 2 days of using this, my skin has felt much much better; the spots are disappearing (and there are definitely no new ones forming) and I have fewer blackheads around my nose. Plus the texture of my skin feels so much smoother- and I hadn't even noticed that was a problem! My skin is also a lot less dry and my eyelids have returned to normal (thank goodness- I can wear eye-make up without worrying!) as the gentle formula doesn't strip away the natural oils in my skin.

I cannot recommend this enough- especially for people with dry and sensitive skin like mine. I really does deliver on it's claims to eliminate and prevent blackheads too. My sister (who has typical teenage oily skin) also really likes it (though she prefers the pink grapefruit version) and it takes care of her spot-prone skin, so I think this scrub is suitable for all skin types.

What is your favorite cleanser? Have you tried Neutrogena products?


                                                                                               xGretalRabbitx

3 comments:

  1. should you leave the scrub on for a few minutes to get the most out of it or wash it right off? Just tried it for the first time to get rid of the blackheads on my nose...it didn't remove them first try, of course, but it did make them appear less obvious and, well...black!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see why you can't leave it on for a little while but I'm not sure it'd make a difference- though I usually spend a minute or two scrubbing it in (gently) to make sure I get a thorough cleanse.

      I'm really glad it's working for you- it is so good at gently deep cleaning isn't it! :)
      xGretalRabbitx

      Delete
  2. It is a nice cleanser! I’m using it with Neutrogena pore minimizing toner and it’s a great combination.
    xo,
    ~Pauline @neutrogena philippines

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment- it really does make my day! :)