Sunday 18 September 2011

Red Velvet Cupcakes :)

Red Velvet Cupcakes are possibly my all-time-favorite cake ever (even better than coffee flavour!) and I've been looking for an excuse to try out my recipe again. I had no excuse today, but I felt like making them anyway; they are delicious and beautiful and I love cake.

I actually went the hummingbird bakery a while ago (I had a weekend with friends in London) and after much deliberation I decided to try a red velvet cupcake. Needless to say it was absolutely amazing, and surprisingly similar to the ones I make at home- although I use a hummingbird recipe, it's not uncommon for places to use an altered recipe so that the shop-bought version is tastier.

As I was about halfway through making them today (and taking photographs like a good blogger) I felt some deja-vu, and realised that I've actually blogged about red velvet cupcakes before, for a guest post on the lovely Leannes blog (Do Not Refreeze) and somehow I completely forgot to mention it on my blog... Anyway, since it was so long ago, I decided I may as well post the recipe on my blog.


You will need:

60 g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
150 g caster sugar
1 egg
10 g cocoa powder
20 ml red food colouring
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
120 ml buttermilk (or alternative, see step 1)
150 g plain flour
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1½ teaspoons white wine vinegar




1) Make your ‘buttermilk’ milk/lemon mixture if you’re not using real buttermilk: Take 5ml lemon juice and 125ml milk; mix them together in a bowl and leave to stand for 5 minutes, it will curdle and look/smell gross but don’t panic, it’s supposed to. You can use it in place of buttermilk for any recipe.

2)Put the butter and sugar in a bowl, then mix together (I use a hand-held whisk, but you can probably use a spoon, it’ll just take longer) on medium speed, until it’s fluffy. Add the egg to your mixture, and beat on a high speed until evenly mixed.




3) In a separate bowl, mix the cocoa power, red food colouring and vanilla extract to makes a thick paste (a lovely deep red colour, but it will make the washing up look like a crime scene!)



4) Add the cocoa paste to the butter mixture and whisk thoroughly.

5)Then turn your whisk to its slowest speed, and gradually add ½ of the buttermilk (or the milk/lemon juice mixture, which is what I always use- buttermilk is expensive!) followed by ½ of the flour. Repeat until all the buttermilk and flour have been added then beat on a high speed until your mixture is smooth.




6) Add the salt, bicarbonate of soda and white wine vinegar (I like this step- it gets all fizzy! though it does smell foul...) Mix on a low speed until it’s all combined, then give it one last mix on high speed for about 2 minutes. 




7) Spoon into cases, about 2/3 of the way full (this usually makes 10-12 cupcakes) and bake in a preheated oven at 170°C /325°F/Gas mark 3 for 20- 25 minutes- until light and springy and cooked all the way through.



Frosting time!

300g icing sugar (sifted)
50g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
125g cream cheese

1) Beat the icing sugar and butter at a very low speed (otherwise you’ll get icing sugar all over you kitchen, I don’t think I’ll admit how many times I’ve managed to do that) until it’s well combined.
2 )Add the cream cheese and beat until evenly mixed. Then beat on a high speed until the frosting is light and fluffy (probably about 3-5 minutes, your arm will ache but it is SO worth it!) but be careful not to overbeat- it’ll get a bit too runny like mine L





3) Spooning the frosting on is usually the easiest way, I think these cakes are so yummy they don't need to look particularly pretty! :)




As usual, I hope you enjoy the recipe, and I'd love to hear if you make them :)


                                                                                       xGretalRabbitx
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment- it really does make my day! :)