Saturday 15 October 2011

Yummy and simple- my flapjack recipe!

Well apparently last Monday was World Porridge Day, now as much as I love porridge (I'm 1/2 Scottish- I HAVE to like it!) I'm also highly fond of baked goods- so I thought I'd share my (second) favorite way to use porridge oats.

Flapjack is another really simple recipe- much like my super-simple cupcakes and easiest biscuits ever- this recipe is great for 'begginers' and although it's fairly plain, you can adapt the recipe to include all sorts of goodies.

You will need:


100g soft brown sugar
100g margarine
75g golden syrup
225g rolled oats

Optional extras: chocolate chips, glace cherries, sultanas, or anything ese you fancy- I think M&Ms would be good) :)


1) Place the sugar, margarine and golden syrup into a saucepan (I always use a non-stick one, it's much easier) and gently heat until the sugar has dissolved and everything has melted together.








2) Weigh out the oats and place in a large bowl, then pour the slightly cooled mixture over and stir until well combined. At this stage you can add any extras you want- I like glace cherries and chocolate chips :)




3) Press the mixture into a lined baking tray (baking paper is ideal, but I had to use foil as I'd run out of everything else!) You need to press it in quite firmly, if you don't the flapjack will be rather crumbly. 

4) Bake at 180C for about 20 minutes- until it becomes golden brown.




5) Leave to cool a little in the tray, then turn it out onto a chopping board and cut into squares. (I prefer to cut it when it's still warm, I find it a lot easier) You can decorate the top with melted chocolate or drizzles of icing if you wish :) 


I love flapjack, and beacuse of the oats you can sort-of pretend it's quite good for you (though obviously you have to ignore the 3 other ingredients...) it'll certainly fill you up more than a biscuit for elevenses :)



                                                                                               xGretalRabbitx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment- it really does make my day! :)