However, luckily for me, last weekend my dad decided that buying 15 bananas (when I am the only one who eats them) was a good idea, so by this afternoon there were several slightly mushy bananas that were just crying out to be made into cake! After much searching online (none of my recipe books has a good recipe) I found a good one on this blog :)
1) Place the butter and sugar and a bowl and beat together until smooth and fluffy. Then add the eggs and beat again.
2) Peel the bananas and place them in a small bowl- then mash with a fork (I think you get better results if you leave some chunks in, you don't really want banana paste!)
4) Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and nutmeg into the mixture and stir, then add the sultanas and stir thoroughly.
5) Grease and flour a loaf tin (it would still work if you only have a regular round tin, but adjust the cooking time) and pour in the mixture.
6) Bake in a (preheated) oven at 180C for about 40 minutes (as always, check with a skewer that it's cooked through)
7) Take it out of the oven and place on a cooling rack for about 1/2 an hour, then turn it out of the pan to cool properly. It tastes pretty yummy warm though, so you don't need to cool it for all that long :)
Yum!!! :) This goes really nicely with a cup of coffee for afternoon tea, and my sister liked it so much she just had 3rds (she's just back from camp though, so she was deservedly hungry) :)
How do you use up past-it bananas?