Sunday 19 February 2012

Pancakes!!!

I don't know about you but I really love pancakes, my sister and I often have them as a breakfast treat on Sundays (the only day we have time and can be bothered to make anything complex in the morning!) so as Shrove Tuesday is coming up (this Tuesday in fact) I thought I'd share my 'recipe' for pancake batter with you.

Unfortunately for the purposes of providing a recipe for you, pancakes are one of those things that I never measure or weigh out... I make the mixture by eye- I've been making them for so long it's second nature to me, but this morning I tried my best to take notes of measurements for you...



You will need:


Eggs (I generally use 1 egg per pancake)
Plain flour (about 2/3 cup per egg)
Milk (about 1 or 2 tablespoons per egg)





1) Crack the egg(s) into a bowl and whisk a little. Add about 1 or 2 tablespoons of milk per egg- enough to make the mixture more creamy coloured and about double in volume- and whisk again.




2) Add about 2/3 of a cup of flour per egg, whisk hard to remove lumps and get the ingredients combined. If the mixture is too thick, add a little more milk/too thin, add more flour. You want the mixture to have the consistency of like, thick cream- runny enough to spread in the frying pan.




4) Add a little oil to a frying pan and heat until the pan is quite hot. Add the pancake mixture and swirl it around the pan to get an even coating.






5) Leave the heat on high for a couple of minutes to crisp the bottom, then turn it down to a medium heat to allow it to cook through without burning.

6) Toss! (or use a fish slice to flip it over.... I'm too uncoordinated to trust myself to throw it and catch it!)

If the edges puff up just use the fish slice to push it down against the pan or it might not cook properly.




7) Once it's cooked through and nicely browned on both sides, take it out of the pan and add your favourite topping :)




My personal favourite it sugar and lemon, but you can use pretty much anything- nutella & banana, golden syrup, fruit & cream, chocolate chips (my sisters favourite) or even savoury fillings :)


Om nom nom...

What's your favourite pancake topping? Are you excied about Shrove Tuesday (I am- I can legitimately eat pancakes all day and have an excuse!)


                                                                    
                                                                                                                  xGretalRabbitx

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for telling me when Shrove Tuesday is! I always miss it!

    This looks delicious!! Over here we would call these crepes (which I love). :D Our pancakes are very puffy, haha. I <3 both!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe no problem, I can't beleive you'd ever forget it though- I love pancakes!
      xGretalRabbitx

      Delete
  2. Oh my word they look delicious and wonderfully perect, nom x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) They are pretty delicious- you should make some, it really is easy!
      xGretalRabbitx

      Delete

Leave me a comment- it really does make my day! :)