Predictably Amy chose chocolate cupcakes, and she got quite excited when I showed her the pictures in the hummingbird cookbook- they are rather beautiful cupcakes, both the cake and the frosting are very dark and chocolaty looking- yum!
These cupcakes are perfect for chocolate addicts- they're very rich and chocolaty, but not too sweet that eating a whole cupcake is sickly, and still light and moist- simply amazing!
20g cocoa powder
140g caster sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
a pinch of salt
40g unsalted butter (room temp.)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
This another recipe which requires that weird sandy texture...
1) Place the flour, cocoa powder, caster sugar, baking powder, salt and butter into a bowl and mix together on a slow speed until everything is combined and the mixture forms a sandy consistency.
2) Place the milk, vanilla extract and egg into a jug/small bowl and whisk together with a fork, then slowly pour into the flour mixture- mixing on a slow speed.
3) Beat the mixture on a high speed for a couple of minutes- making sure it's smooth, well combined and lump-free.
4) With runny cake mixtures like this I like to pour it into a jug to make dividing into cupcake cases easier.
5) Bake at 170c/325f/gas mark 3 for around 20 minutes- until a skewer comes out clean and the tops are springy. Leave to cool and make some frosting!
1) Beat the icing sugar, butter and cocoa powder together on a very slow speed (to avoid icing sugar clouds)
until well combined.
2) Slowly add the milk, whilst beating at a slow speed, then beat again on a high speed for several minutes until the frosting is light and fluffy.
Now you can spoon the frosting over your cooled cupcakes!
I then arranged my cupcakes on a couple of glass dishes, with some silver balls and a silver candle for my sister to blow out :)
These are the best chocolate cupcakes I've ever eaten, and it's another rather simple recipe for beginners :) I'd quite like to make them again but I think my Grandma is bringing me a pumpkin from her friends allotment so I think pumpkin pie and pumpkin cupcakes will be on the cards!
Are you a chocoholic like Amy? As always please let me know if you try this recipe, I'd love to hear how you get along :)