Saturday 1 October 2011

Apple Cupcakes.

My garden has a lovely apple tree in it, and recently the apples have been falling off faster than we can eat them (there's not usually that many, I don't know what's going on this year!) They're cooking apples so we can't just eat them (they're not very nice at all when uncooked) and we're all getting a bit fed up of crumble (which I wish I could give you a recipe for... but I generally make it up as I go along!) I thought I might try some cupcakes.

This is quite an unusual recipe, there is an apple and cinnamon topping made with grated apple- nevertheless, it is actually surprisingly easy; it's really just a basic cupcake recipe with a topping.



You will need:

125g butter (preferably room temperature)
90g caster sugar
1teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs (approx. 70g each)
180g self-raising flour
75ml milk
150g of apples (whole)- I used 3 smallish apples.

Topping:
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon caster sugar
20g butter, in pea-sized cubes (cold)


1) Place the butter, sugar and vanilla extract in a bowl, and beat until light and fluffy. Then add the eggs and beat again.




2) Fold in both the flour and milk, alternately. The mixture is quite thick at this stage (I was a little worried) but it's OK :)




3) Peel, core and grate the apples. Gently squeeze out the juice with your hands (this is messy but a lot of fun!) Place 2 tablespoons of apple juice and 25g of grated apple into your mixture and stir thoroughly. The rest of the apple is for the topping.




4) Spoon the mixture into cases (I made 10, in biggish cases) Then divide the rest of the grated apple over the tops.




5) Mix the cinnamon and caster sugar together, and sprinkle over the top of the apple. Place a little knob of butter on the top and bake at 175C for 25 minutes (or until cooked through)




Leave to cool and enjoy :)




These are so yummy, and they make me feel all autumnal. The topping is amazing- sweet and cinnamony and buttery :) Unfortunately I don't think they'll last too long, they're too nice!


                                                                                            xGretalRabbitx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment- it really does make my day! :)