Saturday 27 August 2011

Super-Simple Cupcakes :)

This is by far the simplest and most foolproof cake/cupcake recipe I know- it's really great for beginners and children (I've made these with 7 year olds on many occasions, and I was making these single-handed when I was about 12) and the best part is that once you know the method you don't need to remember measurements!




You will need:

Eggs
Caster Sugar
Butter (I usually use Stork)
Self Raising Flour
Vanilla Extract





The number of eggs you will need depends upon how many cupcakes you wish to make.

As a general guide 1 egg will make about 6 cupcakes, and you'll need at least 2 eggs for 1 half of a Victoria Sponge cake. (I used 3 eggs in this case, but as I filled the cases quite sparingly I made 24)


1) Weigh your eggs (in their shells). This weight will serve as the measurement for your butter, sugar and flour- my eggs happened to weigh 201g (Why not an even 200!? Silly eggs) 




2) Weigh out the butter and sugar, and place into a bowl. Beat them together until light and fluffy. Crack in the eggs and add a few drops of vanilla extract, then beat again until the mixture is smooth and well combined.






3) Sift in the flour and gently fold into the eggy mixture (draw figures of eight into the mixture, this will help keep all the air in the mixture, so they will rise nicely!)



4) Spoon your mixture into cases and bake at 180c for approximately 15/20 minutes- until golden brown on top, and an inserted skewer comes out clean.





Icing! What cupcake is complete without some sugary goodness on top?

You will need:

Icing Sugar (approx 200g, but I generally just guess!)
Water
Food Colouring
Sprinkles!

1) Sift icing sugar into a bowl and add a few drops of food colouring (naturally I chose pink!) and about a tablespoon of water.




2) Mix! Add water or icing sugar to get the right consistency. I think a slightly thicker mixture is better, as it doesn't run everywhere, but will still spread itself evenly over the top.





3) Spoon over your cupcakes, and add sprinkles immediately (if you give the icing time to set they won't stick)




See? Super-simple :)

You can easily alter this recipe- replace 2 tablespoons of self raising flour for 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder for chocolate cupcakes, or add coffee essence for coffee cupcakes- and once you learn the method you'll be able to make these in about 1/2 an hour! (perfect for cupcake emergencies!)

I'd love to hear if you make these (or any recipes that I post) Happy baking everyone!


                                                                                  xGretalRabbitx

3 comments:

  1. This is perfect for me, since I have very little baking experience! Thanks so much for the recipe =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How simple is this. Will defo be trying these this week=)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you both found this useful :) I hope you'll let me know how you get along with it!
    xGretalRabbitx

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment- it really does make my day! :)